If you’re like me, the reward of a slower pace after the busy holidays can quickly become the new normal. I’ve learned that it’s important to shift gears, otherwise I’m jump-starting myself each day until spring comes. Let me share some of the healthier ways I’ve found to recharge and enjoy this colder season.
1) Just keep moving. If you’re not big on outdoor sports, try yoga, tai chi, or even do some walking. Aim for at least 20 minutes a day.
2) Soak up the sun. On beautiful sunny days like today, take a cue from cats. Sit in a sunny spot with a warm cup of tea and something to read. You can justify this coffee break since it’s medicinal. 🙂
3) Eat fruits and vegetables. Filling up on bread and pasta can be tempting, but they’ll only add to that groggy feeling. I enjoy roasted beets and sweet potatoes. They’re a filling comfort food for me. Pomegranate, kiwi, and mango are exotic winter fruits. What feels like a treat for you?
4) Drink lots of liquids. No, you can’t count wine for this one 😉 Drinking water gives you more energy, helps you feel full even while eating less, and flushes out sugar from the inevtable treats. Drinking water is easier than explaining why the cookie jar is empty…again.
5) Enjoy the slower pace. Find a few ways to indulge yourself that you might not have time for the rest of the year. Take a hot bath, get a massage, or spend the whole evening on a video call with an old friend.